World Environmental Day
Tuesday, 27 June 2017
Share this story:
On 5 June, GVA encouraged all staff to get involved in World Environment Day to get outside and appreciate life on land, and connect with nature.
What is World Environment Day?
World Environment day takes place on 5 June every year and is the United Nation’s Principal vehicle for encouraging worldwide awareness and action for the protection of our environment. Each year a new theme is adopted by major corporations, NGOs, communities, governments and celebrities worldwide to advocate environmental causes. This year’s theme is "Connecting people to nature".
Three quick ways were suggested:
- Meet outside: Have a meeting outside the office, and in the open air if possible.
- Identify native and common non-native trees: use the Woodland Trust ID app.
- Learn more so you can help the environment: Pick up a native leaf, butterfly or fungi swatch from your regional office manager at reception, as you learn more about nature during your lunch break at a nearby park.
Involve your family and children:
- Animal homes spotting activity sheet – available here
- Build a leaf boat and see how far it floats – available here
- Leaf rubbing – use leaves and crayon to create a leaf rubbing forest
How does nature impact our wellbeing?
Nature heals and soothes – Exposure to nature not only makes you feel better emotionally, it contributes to your physical wellbeing, reducing blood pressure, heart rate, muscle tension and the production of stress hormones.
Nature restores – Time in nature or viewing nature scenes increases our ability to pay attention because humans find nature inherently interesting, we can naturally focus on what we are experiencing out in nature. This also provides a respite for our overactive minds, refreshing us for new tasks.
Nature connects – Studies show that nature inspires feelings that connect us to each other and our environment.
For more information about this day, please contact Corporate Responsibility executive email@example.com or 0207 911 2944.